Wednesday, 14 December 2016

12 Days of Blogmas - Day Two - 24 Facts About Christmas

I thought I knew a lot about the festive season, I knew over eating Chocolate Santa Claus was acceptable and that wearing over-sized crazy festive jumpers was the fashion and the turkey was something everyone always ate for Christmas lunch, yet in reality I knew sod all about Christmas and it made me sad because I love Christmas.


Whilst I was researching about this most wonderful time of the year (I'm going to throw that in a lot) I was pleasantly happy with what I found out so I thought why not throw some Christmas trivia at you. Here it goes. Enjoy. x


  1. The Germans actually made the first artificial Christmas tree, out of dried out goose feathers.
  2. Did you know all the gifts in the 12 Days of Christmas would equal to 384 gifts.
  3. The traditional colours of x-mas are Green, Red & Gold. Green the symbol of life and rebirth, Red the blood of Christ and Gold represents the light as well as wealth and royalty.
  4. Oh Santa would have to travel at the speed of 2,34.000 mph to reach every home by Christmas (I wouldn't like to be that elf whose job it'd be to clean the windshield)
  5. If you're as bad as me and never remember all names of the reindeer - Blitzen, Donner, Cupid, Comet, Vixen, Prancer, Dancer, Dasher and Rudolph.
  6. Santa has different names all over the world, Kriss Kringle in Germany. Le Befana in Italy. Pere Noel in France and Deushka Moroz (Grandfather Frost) in Russia.
  7. The highest grossing festive movie is 2000's How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Racking in £175 million.
  8. Gold-wrapped Chocolate coins commemorate St Nicolas who gave bags of gold coins to the poor.
  9. Robins on cards were a joke 150 years ago when postmen wore red tunics and were named after them.
  10. Wow. Nearly 60 million Christmas Trees are grown each year in Europe.
  11. One is the number of Mince Pies you should eat on each day of the 12 Days of Christmas to bring good luck.
  12. During the Christmas of 1914 (WWI) a truce was held between Germany and the UK, they decorated their shelters, exchanged gifts across no mans land and played a game of football between them.
  13. The people of Oslo, Norway donate the Trafalgar Squares Christmas Tree every year in gratitude to the people of London for their assistance during WWII.
  14. Christmas Trees were first decorated with foods such as Apples, Nuts and Dates.
  15. Tinsel was once actually made from real silver being invented in Germany.
  16. 'X-Mas' came into general use from the church (not lazy people who can't write it fully haha) the X is the Greek letter Chi which means Christ, that translates to x-mas.
  17. Bing Crosby's - White Christmas in 1942 is the best selling Christmas song of all time. (My All Time Favourite Christmas Song)
  18. The worlds tallest Christmas Tree stands at 221ft high, it was erected in a Washington shopping mall in 1950.
  19. In 1999, residents of the state Maine, USA built the worlds biggest ever Snowman, standing 113ft tall.
  20. Kissing under the mistletoe is thought to spring from Frigga, the Norse Goddess of love, who was associated with the plant.
  21. Hanging stockings out comes from Dutch custom of leaving shoes packed with food for St. Nicolas's donkeys and he would leave small gifts in return. How sweet is that.
  22. Hanging presents in trees may come from the Druids who believed the tree was the giver of all good things.
  23. Christmas pudding was originally a soup made with raisins and wine.
  24. The world's largest Christmas present was the statue of Liberty, the French gave it to the US in 1886, standing at 151 ft high and weighs 225 tons. (That wouldn't go sitting under no Christmas Tree)
So there you have it, 24 facts about Christmas. I actually did find so much more but these 24 I thought were the best, and seeing as there are 24 days leading up to Christmas Day I thought it was only fitting for there to be only 24 facts.

If you knew five or more of these facts please leave a comment to let me know, and if not let me know if anything here surprised you.


I'm trying to swing for a Statue of Liberty sized gift myself this year, doubt my tree will be big enough for it though. Hehehe or actually it should be Ho, Ho, Ho 

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, so many facts I didn't know! Going to have to shape up when it comes to Christmas knowledge! Definitely think you deserve a Statue of Liberty sized gift, it'"" just have to be kept in the garden for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow didn't know the tree came from Germany!!:):) and also, truly admire you for having so much energy to participate in blogmas? How much time do you spend on blogging daily?
    X finja | www.effcaa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many facts there I did not know, especially the Xmas one, my fav song is still when I child is born :-) oh and silent night :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were so many new facts to me! I loved learning these new things :-)

    ~ Jasmin N
    littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Days of Christmas would equal to 384 gifts always baffles me ahaha!
    Also I'm watching the Grinch right now so I'm not surprised it is the highest grossing film!!! Great post!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post, so fun and different

    Soph | www.planetwhispers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow I didn't know most of these facts! Such a interesting post xx

    http://www.dellalovesnutella.co.uk/2016/12/an-open-letter-to-my-anxiety.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, there are so many facts that I had no idea about!

    Jeff. | NAMELESSJEFF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow such a cool collection of facts! I have no idea how you'd go about making a Christmas tree from goose feathers though haha.

    Alice | Alice In Wonderlust

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post I hardly knew any of these! I've actually never seen the Grinch and I seriously need to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very interesting indeed, statue of liberty, I don't think so xxx

    ReplyDelete