Sunday 13 November 2016

My Passions - My Words, My Stories, My Writing.

"Fiction is the truth inside the lie," - Stephen King

If I think about what I would be doing if I didn't write I truly believe it would be drugs, or I'd be a serial killer. I'll be completely honest now and admit some of my first stories ever written was ones of horror, crime and just general disaster. As I was growing up I had thoughts, thoughts that I put into words, I gave those thoughts to characters because they scared me, I didn't like them and I didn't know how to deal with them other than put them into a world I had control over. Thankfully I have grown out of those thoughts.



Now when I write, I write fiction but I put in real feelings, real emotions, although it's completely made up I want to provoke real emotion when people read it, that's why I love this Stephen King quote that starts this post. I don't know but I feel that you can write freely and honestly so much more if you're writing fiction, and because it is fiction you can get away with so much more. A lot of the time what my characters are feeling, are feelings I've felt sometime in my life but I've never been able to speak freely out loud about them so it's easier to give them emotions to fictional characters, and I'm ok with that because my stories are filled with all kinds of emotion no-one could tell between the real or the fake.

With my writing I want to get under the skin of my readers, I either want you to say 'that's not right, can't believe she wrote that' or say 'damn I needed to read those words,' I want to write that because that is what I look for in the books I read, I want to pull in the reader, make them think, make them feel, to me those are the elements of a great book.

When I was younger I wrote to escape life, now I write to create life, I want to create a world with great characters that will inspire, that will provoke, that's what I am always aiming for in my writing and the story I'm currently writing, I feel should do those things or at least I hope it will.

I don't really know how other writers write, I haven't looked in their process but mine is pretty simple, as I write I am playing it out in my mind like a movie, if something doesn't go well in my head then it doesn't get written down, trust me I'm not crazy. It's the only way I know how to write. Writing has been something that has grown along side of me from a young age and I don't necessarily know why or when I started writing but I just remember how much I loved creating worlds on paper, putting together conversation, imagining life and transferring them to pen on paper. Writing became something I felt I was meant to do. I'm not saying I'm great I'm just saying it's something I love and I'll work on it until maybe one day when I'll be great.

'Write the story you want to read, write what scares you, write what you don't know. Push yourself creatively to pull on the boundaries of your imagination, to write the most truthfully honest, fear filled, greatest story you'll ever write.' - Myself


As much as I can some nights write till my hand cramps, I can also spend all the time I'll spend on writing on Pinterest reading inspiration writing quotes and posts that guarantee they'll help me become a better writer.. That is procrastinating and it stops me from doing what I really should be doing. especially if I have one really good evening of writing then the next night it's as if I've forgotten how to hold a pen. 

'But I think talent as a writer is hard-wired in, it's all there, at least the basic elements of it. You can't change it any more than you can choose whether to be right handed or left handed. - Stephen King

20 comments:

  1. Writing is an amazing passion to have! I think it's cool you play it out in your head like a movie, that's so cool!

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets a bit problematic when you forget to write and just carry on the scene in your head, there's a lot of forgetting along with it lol

      Delete
  2. Writing can definitely change your life! I myself turn to it whenever I feel the need to reflect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to reflect for sure, I used to write down problems or issues I couldn't resolve then go back to them a few days later and fill like I've got somewhere from it, if that makes sense lol

      Delete
  3. This has made me feel so inspired and happy! Great post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has made me feel so motivated! Love you blog xx

    Niamh | https://niamhsprettythoughts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much, I'm glad it has done that for you x

      Delete
  5. This is such a beautifully written post. You've totally inspired me tonight! "When I was younger I wrote to escape life, now I write to create life" <3 Never stop writing - you're doing a wonderful job! Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice, thank you. This means so much to me :) x

      Delete
  6. This was such a beautiful post to read. Writing certainly changed my life, I fell out of love with it for a bit when I started to study it but this past year I've really found my passion again. This is the first thing of yours that I've read but I'm definitely going to have a wander round. Thanks for writing such a wonderful piece and sharing your story xo


    https://wartsandallweb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, it definitely is something you never lose so I'm glad you've found your love for it again. I'll be sure to follow your posts also :) x

      Delete
  7. I love your blog! This post has me full of inspiration! Writing is such a great hobby to have and I love the fact that you mentioned it to be a world you have control over! Great read lovely keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgoodness thank you so much, I'm so happy this has inspired you. Writing has just always been a place I can go and write and be myself completely without judgement or doubt. :) x

      Delete
  8. Your passion for writing speaks volumes! I love it. Keep it up Hun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so inspirational! I love your passion for writing :)

    www.lauralouiseellis.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to be able to write a book with personal feelings and real emotion, I might set myself a task to write a short story.

    Courteney writes xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should, writing creatively is so much fun :) xx

      Delete