Thursday 29 September 2016

St James - American War Memorial

This was somewhere I had planned to visit and I was excited to see, I love learning about the wars, it's always intrigued me and I believe that the wars that have been fought and the men that fought in them should be remembered whether on the ground, in the skies or on our seas they should be remembered for what they did.

So I knew this was somewhere I wanted to see and I know I would like to visit others around France.

Walking through the gates I got this sense of extreme calm and peace, fitting really. It was immaculate, it was really nice to see it kept neat a perfect place of rest. Walking along the path we came upon a memorial chapel. I could start to see the white crosses glow under the sun and my hairs started to raise, goosebumps appeared on my arms.


























Walking along the path through the crosses bearing the names of the fallen I felt very privileged to have been there, to have known them if only by name, I knew them for a split second and even though I couldn't imagine what they've seen and I couldn't imagine how they would have felt I knew one thing, these men and the thousands of others did something for their countries deserved of this resting place to be remembered.







































Carved in the granite base were the words, 'I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept my faith.'


No comments:

Post a Comment